Hartland Life

Board of Directors
  • chevron_rightHomeowners Associations Board of Directors
    Gardens of Hartland Board of Directors
    The Board has five members, each serving a two year term. To facilitate a smooth transition from year to year, approximately half the HHA Board is replaced each November in an election open to all homeowners in good standing with the GoH HOA, i.e. there are no outstanding dues or GoH HOA liens open against their property.
    Hartland (HHA) Board of Directors
    The Board has five members, each serving a two year term. To facilitate a smooth transition from year to year, approximately half the HHA Board is replaced each November in an election open to all homeowners in good standing with the HHA, i.e. there are no outstanding HHA dues or liens by the HHA open against their property.
    Hartland Estates Board of Directors
    The Board has five members, each serving a two year term. To facilitate a smooth transition from year to year, approximately half the HHA Board is replaced each November in an election open to all homeowners in good standing with the HHA, i.e. there are no outstanding HHA dues or liens by the HHA open against their property.
    Hartland Executive Homes Board of Directors
    The Board has five members, each serving a two year term. To facilitate a smooth transition from year to year, approximately half the HHA Board is replaced each November in an election open to all homeowners in good standing with the HHA, i.e. there are no outstanding HHA dues or liens by the HHA open against their property.
    NOTES (applicable to all boards):
    1. If the number of candidates is equal to the number of open positions on the Board, there is no election held. 
    2. If the number of candidates is less than the number of open positions on the Board, the Board will solicit additional members. 
Deeds of Restriction
HHA Info
  • chevron_rightHow much are HHA dues and when are they paid?
    Invoices for the upcoming year's dues are distributed in December by the Property Manager.  HHA dues are paid in January for the calendar year. Residents have the option to pay in two installments; please work directly with the Property Manager to set up a payment plan. 
    HHA dues are as follows:
    • Hartland - $775 per house
    • Executive homes - $733. There is an additional $600 HOA fee paid to the Executive HOA to cover the cost of private roads, lighting, etc.
    • Estate homes - $733. There is an additional $1000 HOA fee paid to the Estates HOA to cover the cost of private roads, lighting, etc.
    • Amenity excluded homes *** - $393 for a small number of houses whose owners, at the time of purchase of the Hartland Club, chose not to participate in the purchase of the pool, tennis courts, and clubhouse from the outgoing developer. As part of the legal settlement between the HHA and these homeowners, they have a different dues amount. Families in these homes are not able to enjoy the club facilities unless new owners choose to 'buy in' to the club; families in these homes at the time of the club purchase do not have an option to buy into the club. 
    *** It is strongly recommended that persons considering buying a home in Hartland verify the status of the house to ensure they are able to enjoy the club facilities if they so choose.
  • chevron_rightWhat expenses are covered by the annual HHA dues?
    The HOA dues are used to cover the following expenses:
    1. Property Manager salary
    2. Insurance 
    3. Maintenance and improvements to common areas and club facilities *
    4. Utilities for common areas and club facilities *
    5. Funds for social events including, but not limited to, the following: Easter Egg Hunt,, Memorial Day potluck, Fourth of July games and refreshements, refreshements for Adult Swim nights, Santa Claus' annual visit, and other social events.
    6. Legal fees, as required 
    In addition, timely payment of the annual HHA dues entitles the residents to use of the club facilities. **
    * Common areas include medians, street islands, and landscaped entrances to the neighborhood. Facilities include pool, tennis courts, workout room, and clubhouse.
    ** Excluding a small number of homes where the 2002 legal settlement precludes use of the club facilities. Since that time, the HHA Board has provided a way for new owners of these homes to 'buy in' to the club by paying the original assessment (including interest) plus the difference between their annual dues and the typical dues for the intervening years.
  • chevron_rightDecorating mailboxes
    Homeowners may plant flowers at the base of the mailbox but should select a variety of flower that will remain compact, so that it does not interfere with delivery of the mail. Please do not plant shrubs at the base of the mailbox, as they can impede the mail carrier's access to the mailbox.
    Flags, seasonal decor, and the like should not be attached to the mailbox or post.
  • chevron_rightRepair or replacement of mailboxes
    Mailboxes are the responsibility of the homeowner and must conform to the neighborhood standard. Contact the Property Manager to report a damaged mailbox. They will arrange for replacement or repair, depending on the severity of the damage. Currently, a new mailbox costs $125 plus labor to install it.
  • chevron_rightPainting mailboxes
    Homeowners may paint the mailboxes. We recommend the following steps:
    • Use a wire brush to remove any rust from the mailbox.
    • Use a paint scraper to remove any flaking or chipped paint.
    • Clean the mailbox thoroughly with a water based de-greaser. Allow mailbox to dry thoroughly.
    • Mask the flag (and house numbers, if applicable) with painters tape.
    • Apply a spray rust sealer to any areas where rust was present. Allow to dry for two hours.
    • Apply an ETCHING PRIMER .... not a bonding primer .... to entire mailbox. Etching primers are necessary to ensure the new paint will adhere to the mailbox. Bonding primers don't last on non-porous metal mailboxes and over time, the new paint will chip and flake. Allow etching primer to dry for four hours. (Note: If you can't find an etching primer, use a mixture of vinegar and water to scrub the mailbox. Then lightly sand the mailbox to rough up the surface before using a bonding primer.)
    • Apply at least two coats of a matte black paint designed for application on metal. Allow paint to dry at least two hours between applications. 
Pets and Stray Animals
  • chevron_rightAre dogs required to be leashed in the neighborhood?
    Yes, all dogs in Fayette County must be leashed, behind a fence, or on the owner's property under the owner's supervision at all times. Dogs may not run at-large at any time.
    Fayette County has several local dog parks where dogs can run off-leash while under their person's supervision: Masterson Station Park, Jacobson Park, Coldstream Park, and Wellington Park. In addition, there are two dog pads where dogs need not be leashed: Phoenix Park and Pleasant Ridge Park. For exact locations and additional information, visit lexingtonky.gov/dog-parks.
  • chevron_rightAre pet owners required to clean up after their pets?
    Yes, there is a Pooper Scooper ordinance in Fayette County which requires pet owners to clean up solid pet waste on public or unowned property, i.e. common areas and your neighbors' yard. Solid waste should be bagged and disposed of at your own house.
    Do not leave solid waste in someone else's yard, shrubbery, sidewalks, public easements, clubhouse grounds, or great Aunt Nancy's front porch.  And please, do not ever throw solid dog waste ... bagged or unbagged ... into the sanitary sewer system. EWWWW!
  • chevron_rightWhat if my pet is lost?
    Families of lost pets should visit the Lexington-Fayette Animal Care and Control (LFACC) shelter at 1600 Old Frankfort Pike as soon as possible to see if their pets were surrendered or if they were apprehended by Animal Control. Identification of lost pets must be made in person. Bring a color photo and proof of current vaccinations to claim your pet. 
    If your lost pet is not at the shelter, you can also utilize the online lost pet listing between visits to the shelter. This listing of lost and found Fayette County animals, complete with photos, can be found under the “Lost & Found Pets” tab at lfacc.org
  • chevron_rightWho do I call if there is a recurring problem with a barking dog?
    First, we strongly recommend that you speak to your neighbor in person about the issue. Oddly enough, they may not be aware of the issue and if informed, will take the necessary steps to ensure the dog does not continue to disturb you. 
    As a last resort for repeated incidents, criminal charges can be filed against the dog's owner with the Fayette County Attorney's Office. Please note that you must provide the evidence for them to prove that your neighbor violated the law which states, “It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or harbor within the urban county any animal, including, but not limited to, domestic pets, that repeatedly or frequently emits any sound, including but not limited to barking, yelping, howling, meowing, or squawking, or that otherwise creates a noise disturbance across a dwelling unit boundary, in such a manner so as to annoy or disturb a reasonable person of normal sensitivities.”  To do so, you must first speak with your neighbor about the issue. If that fails to resolve the problem, you will need to record the barking and make note of the dates/times. Without audio and video of repeated disturbances, it is unlikely that a criminal conviction can be obtained.
    Please do not call the Hartland clubhouse to ask the Property Manager to take action. The HHA has no legal authority in this area. 
  • chevron_rightWho do I call if there is an animal loose in the neighborhood?
    Contact Lexington-Fayette Animal Care and Control (LFACC) at (859) 255-9033 to report a stray animal. Once the animal has been apprehended, LFACC will hold stray dogs for a minimum of 5 days and stray cats for a minimum of 3 days, to allow adequate time for their family to reclaim them.
    We do not recommend approaching a strange animal as it could bite you.
  • chevron_rightPool
    The Hartland pool facility includes a junior Olympic sized, 6 lane pool with a 10' diving well, kiddie pool, and hot tub. Comfortable lounge chairs and umbrella covered tables provide ample seating on the pool deck. The shaded grass picnic area includes a community grill and picnic tables. 
    Below is information about membership and pool operations. Questions? Contact us
    Pool hours
    The Hartland pool generally opens Memorial Day weekend and remains open through Labor Day weekend. The pool is open from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. for the majority of the season. Once Fayette County Public Schools are back in session, weekday hours change to 4:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
    Pool rules
    Click here to view the current pool rules.
    Annual HHA dues include access to the pool for all Hartland residents in good standing with the HHA, with the exception of the amenity excluded homes.  Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult resident or caregiver. Prior to visiting the pool, residents must review the pool rules and complete two online forms: (1) a written acknowledgement of the current pool rules and (2) a resident verification form
    Optional pool memberships
    These are the optional pool memberships current available:
    • Caregiver pass ($75): These season passes are assigned to a specific family, providing pool privileges for one caregiver at a time. Caregivers must be accompanied by the resident for whom they provide care; caregiver passes will not be honored under any other circumstances. To purchase a caregiver pass, complete an application. Payment can be made at the clubhouse or via credit card by clicking here (link inactive until May 1, 2024).
    • Extended family pass ($225): Intended for adult children of current Hartland residents, where the adult child does not reside in Hartland. These season passes are assigned to a specific person, who may enter the pool without accompaniment. To purchase an Extended Family pass, complete an application. Payment can be made at the clubhouse or via credit card by clicking here (link inactive until May 1, 2024).
    Guest fees are required for anyone entering the pool facility who is not a resident of Hartland. The guest fee is good for one person for one day. Guests must sign the guest register; anyone not registering will not have in/out privileges.  Guests must be accompanied by a resident at all times. 
    Guest fees are $5 Monday through Thursday, $10 Friday through Sunday, and $25 for July 4.  The guest fees can be paid at the gate using cash or check with Hartland address. Guest fee credits can also be purchased in advance at the club office during regular business hours or online (click here). Purchase guest fee credits in $5 increments, with a maximum of $200 per transaction. There is a small processing fee for credits purchased online. Guess fees credits purchased in advance will be decremented at the gate on the day they are used. 
    The pool deck or picnic area can be used for parties during normal operating hours. Guests at daytime parties are required to pay the appropriate guest fee ($5 weekdays, $10 weekends, or $25 on the Fourth of July). Please click here to notify the Property Manager of pool parties scheduled during normal operating hours at least 2 weeks prior to the event. For private parties after normal operating hours, residents can rent the pool from 9:00 - 11:00 p.m. for $300 (2023 rate). Guest fees are not required for private parties. The pool rental fees includes two (2) lifeguards for the duration of the rental.
  • chevron_rightWho maintains the neighborhood sidewalks?
    Homeowners are required to maintain the sidewalks adjacent to their property.
    If a sidewalk poses a significant trip hazard (ex: mismatch height greater than one inch), residents can contact Lexington Code Enforcement who will cite the owner. Cited issues must be addressed by the property owner within 2-3 months.
    Periodically, the Hartland Property Manager will walk the neighborhood and if there are long-standing issues with the sidewalk, they will contact the homeowner to request the homeowner have the damaged sidewalk sections repaired or replaced.
Sitter Registry
  • chevron_rightWhat is the Hartland Sitter Registry?
    The Hartland Sitter Registry contains names and contact information for residents who have chosen this avenue to advertise child, house, or pet sitting services. Registered sitters (or their parents) must be Hartland residents.
    The presence of a sitter on the registry does not constitute a recommendation from the HHA; residents are strongly encouraged to review a sitter's qualifications and references prior to hiring them. The HHA assumes no responsibility for the actions of the sitters listed on the registry.
    To be added to the registry, residents may submit their name and information online. The web administrator will review all submissions for completeness before the sitter is added to the registry. All entries are active for one year and must be renewed at that time.
    The registry is provided as a service to neighborhood residents. Please do not share information on registered sitters outside Hartland. If you know of someone needing a sitter and would like to put them in touch with a sitter on the registry, provide their contact info to the sitter and allow the sitter to determine if they wish to make contact or not.
    Bottom line: It is up to the sitter and their family to decide if and when they choose to offer their sitting services. Do not ... under any circumstances ... pressure a sitter to provide service to friends or family. 
  • chevron_rightWho removes snow from the neighborhood?
    The majority of the roads in most of Hartland are public roads and therefore, snow removal is performed by Lexington Fayette Urban County Government (LFUCG).  They prioritize the roads for snow and ice removal based on traffic volume with consideration for access to public transportation, emergency services, and schools.  Currently, Abbeywood Road, Hartland Parkway, and Kenesaw Drive are prioritized for snow removal in Hartland. 
    To see current snow updates from LFUCG, visit their website:  Snow and ice updates.
    Roads in the Executive and Estate sections are privately owned and maintained by the homeowners associations for those areas.
Solar Panels
  • chevron_rightSolar panels
    Solar panels are permitted in Hartland, provided they are approved prior to installation and provided they adhere to the guidelines documented below.  
    Requests to install solar panels must be submitted to the Hartland Homeowners Association Board of Directors for approval. Each request should be submitted to the HHA Board in writing in advance of installation, accompanied by the technical specifications of the panels, a detailed site plan showing where and how the panels will be installed, and a picture of the solar panels. Each request will be reviewed and a written response to the request will be provided after the next regularly scheduled Board meeting. 
    1. Electrical wiring and plumbing for solar panels may not be visible; they must be concealed under the panels, within the support structure, or underground (for ground mounted panels).
    2. Roof mounted solar panels should be of a color consistent with the roofing material; white or very light colored panels are not permitted unless the roofing material is of the same color. Ground mounted solar panels must be a dark color to minimize glare in neighboring yards.
    3. Roof mounted solar panels must be installed on the main house; installation on separate structures is not permitted.
    4. Roof mounted solar panels visible from the street directly in front of the house should lay flat against the roof. If roof mounted solar panels are not visible from the street directly in front of the house, they can be elevated and angled as necessary to maintain an efficient orientation to the sun.
    5. Ground mounted panels are not permitted in the front or side yard of the house. Ground mounted solar panels in the back yard cannot be mounted higher than an approved fence, which must obscure the view of ground mounted panels from the street and neighboring yards.  
    6. Solar panels constructed to replace shingles on the house are permitted without further restriction.
Street Trees
  • chevron_rightTips for planting trees
    Tree Planting Pro Tips:

    1. Freshly dug locally grown trees are encouraged whenever possible to lessen transplant shock and ensure that your tree is starting off healthy and strong. 

    2. New trees should be watered weekly or bi-weekly during the growing season. Products such as Gatorbags (readily found on Amazon) that ensure that proper slow drip watering of the entire rootball from top to bottom is achieved. Watering with a traditional spray nozel only waters the very top portion of the tree leaving the new tree/trees very very thirsty. Trees should be watered for a period of two growing seasons possibly three growing seasons to ensure that they full establish. 

    3. It is a good practice to completely remove old stumps including ground up tree stumps, roots etc and then backfill the old stump location with high quality topsoil before installing a new Street Tree in or very close to the old tree location. No soil/old stumps = no new root growth and a  unhappy little tree which will make the likes of Bob Ross very sad. 

    4. Mulch should never be placed over the trunk or root flare of your tree. This can lead to root girdling and shorten the life of your tree.  See LFUCG planting diagram and planting manual for more information

    5. Tree stakes generally are not required when planting new large shade trees. However, if required and/or recommended by your landscape professional soft ties such as Arbor Tie or equal should be utilized and removed after the first or second growing season.
    6. A general rule of thumb is that it is better to plant a tree to high rather than to low. The top of the rootball should be level or an inch above the adjoining turf. Planting a trees rootball below the adjoining turf surface can significantly stunt the trees growth and its overall longterm health.
    7. Fall is the best time of year to plant your new tree (October 1 - December 1). This allows the tree to grow some new roots and begin to establish itself before next years growing season begins. Spring planted trees generally require more babysitting during the 1st growing season than fall planted trees. 
  • chevron_rightWho is responsible for planting and maintaining street trees?
    Per local ordinance, the homeowner is responsible for planting and maintaining street trees for the easement(s) abutting their property. 
    The Lexington Fayette Urban County Government (LFUCG) Planting Manual, available at this link, dictates the type, spacing, and minimum clearance of street trees as follows:
    1. Trees shall be required at the standard of one (1) tree per 45 feet of street frontage for large trees, 35 feet for medium size trees, and 25 feet for small trees.
    2. Trees shall be trimmed to a minimum height of 7' over sidewalks and 14' over streets.
    3. New street trees are required to be a minimum 1¾" diameter at time of planting.
    In Hartland, most streets are limited to medium size trees. Abbeywood Road is designated for large species, as is the area immediately inside the Kenesaw Road entrance to the neighborhood. See the LFUCG Planting Manual for the list of acceptable species.
  • chevron_rightAcceptable street tree species
    The list of acceptable street trees is documented in the LFUCG Planting Manual (click here to open document).  When reviewing the list of trees is in the appendix, species must have an 'X' in the 'Street Tree' column in table. 
    The majority of Hartland is permitted to have medium size street trees. While LFUCG provides an extensive list of acceptable trees, we recommend the following medium trees:
    1. Shademaster Honeylocust - Gleditsia tricanthos inermis 'Shademaster'
    2. Wildfire Blackgum - Nyssa sylvatica 'Wildfire' (note: superior hybrids such as 'Wildfire' varieties should be selected with this tree type)
    3. Trident Maple - Acer buergerianum
    4. Yellowwood - Cladrastis kentukea (seek out single leader grown trees)
    The only areas designated for large trees are Abbeywood Road and the area on Hartland Parkway nearest Tates Creek Road, where Pin Oaks were originally planted. While LFUCG provides an extensive list of acceptable trees, we recommend the following large trees:
    1. Chinkapin Oak - Quercus muchlenbergii
    2. Autumn Gold Fruitless Ginkgo - Ginkgo biloba 'Autumn Gold'
    3. Exclamation London Plane Tree - Plantanus x acerifolia 'Exclamation' 
    4. Valley Forge American Elm - Ulmus americana 'Valley Forge' (Dutch Elm Disease resistant variety)
    5. White Oak - Quercus alba
    For the full list of LFUCG guidelines on size, species, spacing, and permit requirements, check out their street tree web page.
Trash Collection
  • chevron_rightHow do I get a new trash or recycling container if mine is damaged?
    Good question! Lexcall is a GREAT resource for many things, including trash cans, recycling bins, and yard waste. Dial 311 and they will ask you a few questions to determine if your unit can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced.
  • chevron_rightWhat is the schedule for city garbage collection in Hartland?
    Friday is the usual collection day for LFUCG Waste Management to pick up garbage, recyclables, and yard waste in Hartland. While make-up trash collections days are usually the Wednesday prior to the normal collection, you can find schedule changes for public holidays or inclement weather on the LFUCG Waste Management site.  Or sign up for text message by texting your usual collection day to 888777.
    Trash and recycling containers should be set at the curb no earlier than 4:00 p.m. the day before collection and no later than 5:00 a.m. the day of collection. Bulky or large items are usually collected on the same schedule but to request pickup of sofas, appliances, or tires contact LexCall at 311 or (859) 425-2255. You can also submit a service request online or using the LexCall mobile app.